Tuesday, May 09, 2006

How do you spend your days? What do you do?


Most Secure Prison
In Supermax prisons, prisoners are generally allowed out of their cells for only an hour a day; often they are kept in solitary confinement. They receive their meals through "food ports" in the doors of their cells. Prisoners are given no work and very little access to leisure activities, though some categories of prisoner are allowed to have a television. When Supermax inmates are allowed to exercise, this may take place in a small, enclosed area where the prisoner will exercise alone. Prisoners are under constant surveillance, usually with closed-circuit television cameras. Cell doors are usually opaque, while the cells may be windowless. Conditions are spartan, with poured concrete or metal furniture common. Cell walls, and sometimes plumbing, are often soundproofed to prevent communication between the inmates


A survey was done to find out their daily routine:-


"I usually spend my days reading and trying to stay focused upon keeping my sanity."

"Writing ten letters a week, reading one book a week, watching CNN News for two hours a day, trying to keep cool from the heat using a wash cloth, drinking lots of water, and fanning with a note pad. Trying to find the right time to sleep and trying to control my anger from not getting out of control and letting this psychological torture drive me insane."


"There isn't much to do. When I get my three books on Friday I begin to read them and by Saturday night I'm done with all three and have to wait until next Friday. Other than that I keep myself busy by writing my family and keep my wits."

"I spend my day making things to do. I read, write and talk to voices in the vent that belong to faces of other inmates I can't interact with."

"In order to stimulate myself I read, exercise or write a letter. There's a television in my cell that has the Discovery Channel, History Channel, Sky Angel (religion) Channel, PBS and CNN programmed into it. So I watch the TV. It all gets boring and monotonous though. I would rather be active working or something than sitting in a cell doing the same things over and over."


"I spend my days trying to do what's possible to better myself educationally, which right now I'm taking a course in math and writing skills."


"I eat, sleep, use the toilet, and every other human thing, under the ever-watching camera! I work out six times a week. I read lots of books. I am trying to get well versed in the law so I can sue the DOC all the time, but also to try and help illiterate and slow inmates with appealing their state-given sentences."

"I draw, read, write poetry, letters, fiction, pace my cell, sit back and listen to what these people are saying, just lay in bed and think about everything in life about what's going on in here and out there."

"I spend my days thinking, studying, writing and exercising. Due to the unfortunate circumstances this is all an individual can basically to besides eat and sleep. Basically I do what it takes to keep a positive attitude and to stay focused."

"Depressed, I make attempts to contact coalitions but no one seems concerned or cares. I've thought about suicide."

"I sleep a lot, and when I'm awake, I read or pace. Lately I've been daydreaming a lot. Most of the time I don't know the day, time or date."

Walking in cell. Try to read but it is very difficult to have the mind set for reading. Try to sleep. Try to watch TV (Discovery, PBS, CNN, History). Try to get my mind into writing letters to organizations about my situation in SMCI. Try to work out when my body no longer hurts. Time is difficult when one is suffering from sensory and sleep deprivation."


"I sit in my room trying to remain sane. I don't do anything but sit in my cell and stare at the walls and try not to have a breakdown."

"I sleep and daydream -- there is not much to do."


"Most days I do a lot of reading and writing to friends and family. I try to study the law and understand it the best I can. I also draw on days when I feel like expressing myself. Working out is hard to do in a confined space such as this, but I do my best to keep all my muscles functioning properly. That is about all we can do."


"Walk around my room all day, at times read and work on my legal case."

No comments: