Saturday, August 24, 2019

The founder of City Harvest Church (CHC) apologised to its members during his first appearance at the church in its Suntec premises on Saturday (Aug 24).
Pastor Kong Hee, who turned 55 a day before, was released from prison on Thursday (Aug 22) after serving about two-thirds of his three-and-a-half years' jail sentence for his role in misappropriating S$50 million of church funds.
Mr Kong, who appeared with his wife Ho Yeow Sun, also known as Sun Ho, to loud applause from the packed church, took the stage and told the congregation that he was sorry for "everything that has happened".




"This is the only time you’ll hear from me for quite a while. Having been away from 2017, it feels really surreal to be here," he said. "I’m so grateful for the opportunity to stand before you and to say today from the bottom of my heart that I am very sorry for everything that has happened.
"I was convicted by the court for criminal breach of trust. I have served my sentence and today I find myself humbled," said the pastor, who sported a shock of white hair.
"I want all of you to know that I’m so sorry, so sorry, for any pain, anxiety, disappointment or grief that you have suffered because of me," he said. "The last few years have just been very difficult and painful for me and for everyone involved."


He asked the church for "some time to readjust back into a normal life again" and said his immediate priority was to reconnect with his family.
"I have missed out on a significant part of my son’s growing-up years with the long-drawn court trial and subsequent incarceration," he said. "My absence has also pained my parents deeply. Now, they are already in their 90s and I wish to be a filial son, to be around to take care of them."