Saturday, October 09, 2010

how do they survive?

I just gave a talk to my son on how not to be in debt when he starts work in a few years time after university.

I told him that when I graduated, after 3 years, I was able to save 40k enough to buy a 5 rooms HDB flat. But for him, after 3 years, he may be able to save around max 150k if he live in with me and I pay for everything and he can pay 1/3 of a 5 room hdb flat if he buys direct from hdb!

Frankly, I just do not know how they can survive as I told him that I really do not want him to be in debt to the extent that life is like being put on a pedestal like a rat running to turn the wheel till it drops dead.

And we are talking about the life of a young professional starting life with full support and not incurring debt either in uni study and the first few years of working life. I do not know how people who would earn less, how do they survive?

I read from the papers that someone planning to buy the govt condo meant for income of 8 to 10k commenting that $750 per sq ft is cheap maening getting a 1,000 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment for 750K is cheap? How on earth can the couple pays for the unit paying probably 150k down payment and taking a debt of 600k likely to be paid over 30 years!This is insane.

No comments: